Media Cabinet – The Final Steps

I feel like we’ve been working on the media cabinet forever (check out part one, two, three, and four). The whole being a grown up and having to work 40 hours a week really gets in the way of project time. The end is however finally in sight. In fact, this will be my last update before the reveal.

Where we left off, we had made the drawer boxes for the upper and lower drawers. We then had to cut down the upper drawers as they were too tall. Oops.

Cutting the sides

Trimming the height of the drawer boxes.

We used our new table saw to cut everything down to size (setting the fence and ripping each side of the drawer until they were all the proper height.) After a quick sand, we installed the drawer slides and had operating upper drawers! (woot!)

All the drawer boxes installed (the drawers will have fronts on them to make them look all fancy like)

All the drawer boxes installed (the drawers will have fronts on them to make them look all fancy like)

The way this cabinet is designed, the drawer boxes are fabricated and installed,  then drawer fronts are attached to them (to cover the unsightly visible hardware and gaps.)

The center portion of the cabinet also gets fold down doors to hide all the electronics.

Now we needed to make the drawer fronts & doors. We headed to the garage and ripped down a bunch of lumber to size, then did all our length cuts on the miter saw.

All the wood cut and ready to assemble

All the wood cut and ready to assemble

The larger doors & drawers are actually made up of three pieces attached together so that they look like two small drawers and a spacer. (as its supposed to be a printmakers cabinet that looks like it has lots of little drawers.) To attach them together, we used pocket holes and screws.

Assembling the drawer fronts using the pocket hole system. (also note the use of a square to keep everything all nice and straight & square.)

Assembling the drawer fronts using the pocket hole system. (also note the use of a square to keep everything all nice and straight & square.)

After everything was assembled I spent the afternoon filling and sanding everything.

small drawer fronts

The three small drawer fronts ready to go

large drawer front

One of the large drawer fronts. You can see how its made up of three different pieces.

Then we used our Ikea Fixa drill template to mark where we needed to drill holes for all the handles. We have gotten so much use out of that darn template. Worth every penny.

Fixa template

Marking holes for the cabinet hardware

Drilling the cabinet hardware holes

Drilling the cabinet hardware holes

Next up we needed to install the fronts. The plans call for a very ingenious way to do this. (Sorry for the lack of pictures, this was an all hands on deck kind of task.) Essentially you space the drawer fronts perfectly in the cabinet, and attach it temporally with two screws through the cabinet hardware holes.

temp screws

Temporary screws through the hardware holes holding the drawer front in place until it can be attached from inside the drawer

Then you take the drawer out, and attach the front permanently by putting a few screws through from the inside of the drawer.

attacing drawer fronts

Attaching the drawer fronts with some screws inside the drawer

Then you can remove the temporary screws from the hardware holes, and drill all the way through for the hardware. We continued on and attached all the drawer fronts this way. (Note, we didn’t attach the fold down doors, as we didn’t want to do that until everything was stained & finished.)

Now the whole cabinet is built, sanded and ready for finishing.

Cabinet built

Cabinet built and ready for stain & hardware

Ta da! All that’s left is stain, poly & hardware! Stay tuned for (hopefully) the big reveal next week.

No Comments Yet.

Leave a comment