We are in the final stages of planning for our concrete countertop project. When speaking with friends and family about our project a lot of the questions we have been getting is “why concrete?”. Most of them haven’t seen concrete countertops before, and thought we were a bit mad for taking on this project. Others thought the concrete would be really rough and look like a sidewalk. I have been breaking out my iPhone to the skeptics and showing them some examples of concrete countertops, and they have been subsequently blown away. So I thought I would show you all some of my inspiration so you think I’m less cray cray and more awesome.
First up, why did we choose concrete?
- It goes with our industrial meets traditional asthetic
- It’s durable, and customizable
- We can do it ourselves. It’s not like we can mix up some marble in the garage
- It looks amazingly high end for a reasonable price
- If done incorrectly, or the wrong products are used it can crack, break and/or look terrible
- If not properly sealed & waxed it can be stained (like stone) by acids such as wine, vinegar and citrus fruit
- It takes a bit more planning & prep to make molds and some muscle to pour, finish and install
Now, for some beauty shots!